Wheatgrass is a powerful antioxidant and detox superfood. Best of all, it’s very simple to grow in a small spot in your home.
We are used to superfoods originating from faraway places. That’s why we usually consume them in the form of dried extract.
But there is a superfood that is very close and, moreover, can be grown easily and at home. It is the wheatgrass.
It is a great concentrate of chlorophyll with antioxidant and depurative power, which we will use freshly harvested to prepare our green shots.
How to grow wheatgrass at home
Wheatgrass has the great advantage that you can easily grow it at home to have fresh green juice in the mornings (you need a manual or electric pressure extractor to get it).
Ingredients and utensils
- 300 g organic wheat seeds (Triticum aestivum)
- 3 trays (with small holes in the bottom for filtering water)
- universal substrate (ecological, if possible)
- germinating bag
- ZIP BAGS
- Soak the seeds overnight. In the morning, wash them and transfer them to a sprouting bag or glass germination jar. Leave them for a day without light.
- The next day, spread a 1-2 cm layer of soil in the trays, add the pre-sprouted wheatgrass and water it in.
- Stack the trays and cover the top one with a tea towel. Leave them away from sunlight and heat for 3 days and make sure the soil is still moist.
- When the sprouts appear, separate the trays and leave them in the light (never direct light). Make sure the substrate is kept moist.
- From the tenth day, when it has a height of 5-10 cm, you can cut the grass. It is important not to let it grow longer because it loses its properties. You can store it in zip bags.
The vitamin C and iron are the two nutrients found in significant amounts in a small glass (30 ml) of liquefied wheatgrass: it provides 7% of the daily requirement of vitamin C and 10% of the daily requirement of iron.
It also offers minor amounts of zinc, manganese, calcium and many other minerals.
Those who cannot germinate their own wheatgrass can find it. in powdered form which is consumed in doses of 2 to 4 g mixed with fruit or vegetable smoothies such as cucumber, apple, strawberries, orange, lemon…